Our sample menu is included as a guide only and should not be used to replace any advice you may have been given by a dietitian.
If your traditional diet includes food different from those listed below, talk to your dietitian.
1 cup porridge or ½ cup cereal (soaked with milk)
½ cup of milk*
½ cup of tinned fruits or stewed fruit (e.g. prunes)**
1 glass water
150ml pottle of lite yoghurt
* Use trim milk or calcium enriched milk, especially if you are watching your weight.
** Watch the amount of sugar used and don't forget to brush your teeth. Alternatively, you can use artificial sweeteners.
1 ½ glasses water
½ tin baked beans* or spaghetti
¼ cup cheese** on
- x2 wholemeal toast/bread
- or as a toastie pie
½ cup of fruits [e.g. peaches (in fruit juice/light syrup)]
2 glasses water
* Baked beans are a good fibre option for your meal.
** Try using cheese that are lower in fat, such as Edam or Cottage Cheese.
- ½ banana
- handful of berries
* Try adding some oil. It helps coat the insides of your mouth. However, do watch the amount if you are watching your weight.
Chicken and Tomato Rice
1 ½ cups rice (cooked)
100g chicken breast/thigh fillets*
tomato pasta sauce
cheese*** - 20g
2 ½ glasses water
* Trim off the skin if you are watching your weight.
** Adding more vegetables can help increase your fibre intake.
*** Try using cheese that are lower in fat, such as Edam or Cottage Cheese. Watch the amount you use if you are watching your weight.
- Bran cereals/muesli with milk, yoghurt, and fruit
- Porridge with sultanas and milk* or yoghurt, and fruit
- Scramble eggs on soft bread
- Omelette served with mashed potato or soft bread
- Savoury custard with ham, vegetables, tomato puree, or fish
- Cooked sliced egg in a cheese sauce or mild curry sauce on rice.
* An example of lower fat cheese is Edam/Cottage Cheese.
- Yoghurt (fresh or frozen) or ice cream
- Sandwiches – with ham/egg/grated cheese,** minced chicken and mayonnaise, peanut butter
- Ice blocks – Popsicles.
# High in fibre: a good alternative if you suffer from constipation and are in need of more fibre.
* Trim/CalciTrim/Anchor Xtra are recommended, especially if you are watching your weight.
** An example of lower fat cheese is Edam/Cottage Cheese.
Lunch or dinner options
- Baked beans or spaghetti with grated cheese on bread
- A bowl of soup, e.g. Pumpkin Soup or Green Velvet Soup, with bread
- Sandwiches with a serving of meat, egg, vegetable, or cheese fillings
- Egg noodles, stir-fried vegetables
- Scrambled eggs with bread (not toasted)
- Salmon steak on rice with green beans
- Pork with Prunes and Apricots
- Springtime Pie
- Chicken and Tomato Rice.