Services and information

Directory of services

This is a brief listing of some of the major services available in New Zealand.

Cancer Society of New Zealand/ Te Kāhui Matepukupuku o Aotearoa

Local Cancer Societies provide confidential information and support.

The Cancer Society has an Information Service where you can talk about your concerns and needs with specially trained nurses. Contact the Cancer Society on 0800 CANCER (226 237) or call your local Cancer Society.

Local Cancer Society centres offer a range of services for people with cancer and their families/whānau. These may include:

  • volunteer drivers providing transport to and from treatment
  • support and education groups.

The range of services offered differs in each region, so contact your local centre to find out what is available in your area.

Cancer support groups

Cancer support groups offer mutual support and information to people with cancer, and often to their families too. It can help to talk to others who have gone through the same experience. Support groups can also offer many practical suggestions and ways of coping. Ask your hospital or local Cancer Society for information on cancer support groups in your area.


The Funeral Directors Association of New Zealand can provide a listing of funeral directors, estimates of funeral costs, and provide a kit, My Life, My Funeral. To receive this kit you can telephone 04 473 7475, or view the kit’s contents online or email them for a copy.

To explore environmentally friendly funerals. Phone 03 528 5220 or visit their website.

Grief support

Grief support is offered by many different services, e.g. hospice or palliative care, social workers, or Skylight. Contact your local Cancer Society for information on the support available in your area or call 0800 CANCER (226 237).

Home help

You may be entitled to assistance with household tasks. For information on the availability of this assistance, contact your hospital social worker or Community Health Service. Private home help is also available through nursing agencies, which can be found in the Yellow Pages phone book.

Legal advice and information

See your lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, contact the Law Society in your area or the local Community Law Office.

Life insurance

If you are terminally ill, you may be able to receive a partial or full claim from your insurer. This procedure requires an opinion from your specialist. Check with your insurance company about your eligibility for this type of insurance claim. For more information on insurances contact the Financial Planning & Insurance Advisers Association, phone 04 499 8064. For insurance disputes contact The Office of the Insurance and Savings Ombudsman or phone 0800 888 202.

Medical equipment

Equipment for home care may be available through your local Community Health Service. Ask your GP or nurse. Equipment is also available for hire. Ask your local Cancer Society for details of local services.


Nursing care is available at home through district nursing or your local hospital, hospice, or palliative care service. Your doctor or hospital can arrange this. There is no cost to patients and families for this service.

Private nursing care is available through nursing agencies.

Palliative care

The doctor or nurse will provide information about palliative care and hospice facilities and services in your area.

Respite care

Your local hospice, palliative care services, community services, or hospital social worker will also be able to advise you about services in your area.

Social and pastoral care workers

Pastoral care workers are able to discuss practical and spiritual concerns (from all religious and non religious viewpoints). Contact your local hospice, palliative care services, community services, or hospital social worker for advice about services in your area.

Work and Income

For information about income support phone the Work and Income Contact Centre on 0800 599 009.

Leave us a message