The following questions are suggestions only. You may find it helpful to compile your own list to take with you when you visit your doctor.
- What is my cancer called?
- What is going on with my cancer?
- What are the chances of controlling my cancer?
- Will the cancer progress?
- What can I expect in the future?
- What symptoms may occur in the future, and what should I do if they arise?
- Will I be in pain?
- Will my pain and other symptoms be controlled in the future?
- What are the worst days going to be like?
- What are the best days going to be like?
- How long am I likely to live?
Treatment for advanced cancer
- What is the aim of the treatment?
- What are the side effects of treatment?
- How likely are side effects to occur?
- What can be done about side effects?
- What’s causing the symptoms?
- What can be done about the symptoms?
- Who will be supervising my care?
- Who do I call in the evenings or after hours?
- Do the oncologists, doctors, nurses, and palliative care team talk to each other about my care?
Living with advanced cancer
- What can I expect to be able to do?
- How much activity or exercise is too much and how much is too little?
- What activities may help me to enjoy life more, e.g. massage, meditation?
- How can I make the most of my life?
- What kind of food should I eat?
- How important is my diet?
- Can you advise me if and when I can return to work?
- Can you advise me about the timing of a holiday or trip I wish to take?
- Is it okay for me to drive?